Sunday, February 11, 2007

Birding in Brazil (02 of 03) - SALVADOR

My next stop in Brazil was the city of Salvador further up north along the coast. The city was a strange mix of two Indian cities that I knew - Goa and Mumbai - (the colonial past of the Portuguese empire and hence the similarity to Goa and the scale and chaos quiet similar to Mumbai).
However, I did get to see quiet a different variety of birds from that in Brasilia.

Starting with the Sayaca Tanager (Thraupis sayaca) that spend most of their day in the trees just outside my hotel window. (Once again corrected by Mr.Rasmus Boegh !!)

I also snapped this Straight-billed Woodcreeper (Xiphorhynchus picus) from the same spot in my hotel very close to the beach.
I caught this Masked Water-Tyrant (Fluvicola nengeta) checking for some food in a small grass patch further inside the city.
However, I did get my only good views of any Brazilian mammal in a small forest patch inside the compound of the Sarah Kubitschek Hospital - the Common Marmoset (Callithrix jacchus)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The tanager is a Sayaca Tanager (Thraupis sayaca). The Blue-grey Tanager is essentially restricted to the Amazon in Brazil (a few thousand km. from Salvador), and in the limited area where the two species potentially comes into contact in Brazil, the subspecies of the BG Tanager has a large whitish shoulder-patch.

Rasmus Boegh