Friday, July 27, 2007

A few common birds from St.Petersburg

I had to contend myself with watching birds from Urban areas or Tourist destinations since I was on strictly family tour. So here what I saw along the river and bay area of this great city.
The super common Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus)

And this one below - I had initially dismissed as the Common tern but on closer inspection it looks like I might just have caught myself another 'lifer' in this Arctic tern (Sterna paradisaea)
I came to this conclusion because the rump is white, the underparts are darker and the wing lacks the dark wedge on the outer edge, which is a key identifying feature of common terns.

And these two snaps of the Pied Wagtail also know as the White Wagtail (Motacilla alba), the most common bird in the palace grounds around the city.

No comments: