Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Ant-mimicking spider and more

I finally got my hands on my new camera the Nikon D300S... and its amazing .. it really is a giant leap from my previous Nikon - the D50..

and on my first day trying it out I couldn't have asked for a better subject to test my camera on..

An amazing spider that happens to also be a lifer species for me : )
a male Ant-mimicking spider (Myrmarachne plataleoides)
This spider is a perfect mimic of red tree ant Oecophylla smaragdina (the ant in the small inserted image and also photos below) . As you can see its a great copy of the ant - both in body structure and colour!
the Oecophylla smaragdina ant

I didn't get enough time to observe but I understand that it even closely mimics the general movements of the ant - with its front legs kept raised, bent in the middle and move like the antennae of an ant.

The male Myrmarachne plataleoides usually measure about 9-12 mm in length and give the appearance of a weaver ant carrying a minor worker due to their elongated chelicerae which may be as long as one-third to half their body length. The female of this species is a better mimics of the weaver ants and measures about 6-7 mm.

This particular spider was observed close to many of these ants.
I also witnessed some of these ants "farming" aphids on a close by tree (pictured below)! Possibly there was an ants' nest near-by?

Moving on I clicked a few Jumping spiders:

a few dragonflies:
I'm not sure of this fellow but I suspect its a Ground Skimmer (Diplacodes trivialis)
a flying (while mating) pair of Long-legged Marsh Gliders (Trithemis pallidinervis)
... a Granite Ghost (Bradinopyga geminata)...

and finally a Skink
Can't wait to try this camera properly .. : )

No comments: