Thursday, April 05, 2007

Bergen Aan Zee, North Holland

Yesterday I went to Bergen a small town also the beach in North Holland. There I rode my bike along the Dune reserve (in one of the most beautiful natural landscapes of this country). And while at the edge of the dune reserve with the huge fields, soaring up in the sky was the Common Buzzard Buteo buteo (All three of them are photos of the same bird)
In the above snap if you look hard in the centre of the snap you can see some Bison.And just five minutes from this beautiful natural landscape are the huge agricultural fieldsThese fields however, at this time of the year is teeming with nesting activity by a large no. of birds. Here I saw Northern Lapwing Vanellus vanellus
Most birds allowed me to go amazingly close to them.The first Oystercatcher of the day was quiet far awayBut the prized catch for me for the day was the very clear views and photos I managed to get of the Common Pied Oystercatcher Haematopus ostralegus
(Though this bird is quiet common at this time of the year over here back home in India and especially near Bombay it's quiet a rare sight)
The small canal in between the fields almost always had a nice set of birds feeding along it.Common Redshank Tringa totanus

And last one for the day was the Black-tailed Godwit Limosa limosa
(I'm sure that it was a black-tailed because I got clear view of it's characteristic black tail when it flew overhead)

No comments: