Friday, July 21, 2006

Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Kerala, INDIA

"In the 1930's Salim Ali described Thattekad as the richest bird habitat in peninsular India, comparable only with the eastern Himalayas."Just got back to India yesterday for a short vacation and this morning I made the most of a half a day I had to spare in Ernakulam (Cochin) while I waited my sister. I did what I thought was my best option around here. I drove up to the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary (also commonly known as the Thattekad Sanctuary) some 70 odd kms. from the international airport.
Sadly the rain played spoil-sport on my super short visit to this beautiful forest. I had to unfortunately miss out on the wonderful birdlife and settle some other inhabitants and of course the lovely forest-scapes - so I guess not such a bad deal afterall.

Here's a couple of snaps of the beautiful - Paris Peacock ( Papilio paris)(Even though one of the guides tried really hard to help me find the famous Sri Lankan Frogmouths near the tower, the rain made it impossible)Since Salim Ali's time much of the forest has been diverted to cultivation and mahogany plantation (like in the picture above) but what survives I understand is a great bird diversity of the once widespread lowland forests of Kerala.

(Check out Ramki's website for his trip to this beautiful forest to get an idea of what one can expect to see here @ http://www.wildventures.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=1943 )

The only 'not so common' bird I was able to see and photograph was this fellow - the Spangled Drongo (what used to be called the Hair-crested Drongo) (Dicrurus hottentottus) Anyways, can't wait to get back here and go in search for the frogmouths once again!!!

No comments: