Monday, July 10, 2006

Texel - (Birding on an island in the North sea) - NL

Just back from an amazing weekend trip to one the islands off the north-western coast of the Netherlands - TEXEL.
I was welcomed by my dear feathered friends right from the time I got on the ferry to take to the island from the Dutch mainland.
Once there, the landscape is amazing! And finally I got to see the real Dutch Dune-scape!!!
Along the beach I found along with some usual suspects like the Herring Gull (above) and Common Terns (below) a few interesting species including some Lifers.
Like the Common Eiders (above);

Lifers like the Common Gull (below 3 pics)
and also the Little TernFurther, like I mentioned the Landscapes of this small bicycle-able island was just great and was whole of birdlife.
But unlike what you might imagine even here man has managed to introduce 'exotic' species into the wild, like this Black Swan (from Australia).
And last but not the least the one lifer I was sure I would find here - the Eurasian Oystercatcher - and I was more the glad to get very good views of this species and also to be able to see quiet a few of them :)

No comments: